Rural School Oral Health Elective Project:
7 days to 6 weeks
What to expect in the placement?
What better place for education than in schools? Under this project, each partner school appoints either an AGP trained village Barefoot Dentist or a trained local school teacher to acts as an Oral Health Supervisor. The principal functions would be to:
- Run a daily brushing program at school
- Application of fluoride gel
- Application of dental sealant
- To screen the students to create a Dental Record
- Ensure each student gets at least one dental checkup per year
- Include oral health education in the school health curriculum
- Organize fun, creative activities to promote oral health care: competitions, fairs, dramas, art exhibits…anything goes!
Around Good People is a grassroots activists’ non-profit organization that provides healthcare volunteer programs for dental undergraduate students, graduate students, residents, and practitioners in the areas that need it the most the inhospitable terrains of mountain Nepal with its forbidding Himalayan mountain. In providing urgently needed oral health care assistance to the people in these regions, we help participants gain valuable exposure to dentistry in most difficult challenging environment through an ethics-based approach to care.
We strictly adhere to the protocol and guidelines set out by the ADEA and ADA for international dental volunteering by students. Our programs also allow volunteers the opportunity to immerse themselves in the beauty and culture of the exotic holiday destination of Nepal. Founded on the principles of community partnership and self-help with the assistance of international volunteering AGP provides a safe and mutually beneficial experience where students can make a meaningful contribution to disadvantaged populations throughout the nooks and corners of the Himalayan Nepal.
Salient highlights of Nepal Dental Outreach Project
- Community owned Initiative
- Structured Project
- Experiential Learning
- Supervisor: Student ratio of 4:1
- Legacy initiating of Oral Health Education Project in the affiliated school at the outreach village
- Cultural Immersion
- 800-1200 registered patients
- Free Dental Care (OHI including free distribution of tooth brush/fluoride paste, fluoride gel/varnish and dental sealant, Screening, Scaling, Restoration, Extraction, Pharmacy) delivered to unserved Communities
- Food – Fun – Adventure
- Optional add on holiday package of trekking, paragliding and safari